The first non Congress government came to power in Karnataka in 1983.It was a minority Janata Party Government having the support of BJP from outside. However Janata Party came to power on its own in 1985. Shri.Ramakrishna Hedge was the Chief Minister and Shri.Devegowda was the president of the party. After the victory of Janata Party in 1985 Devegowda served as PWD and Irrigation Minister in the Hegde cabinet. The achievements of the Government were not only significant but also first in their nature.Somehighlights of those are as follows :
The Karnataka Formula which Devegowda's Government implemented :
- Decentralization of Power : It was this Janata Party Government which made a revolution by decentralizing the power. Thereby it kept up the promise given to the people.Mandal Panchayat and Jilla Parishath came into being and power directly went to the hands of the people. Late Shri. Nazeer Sab is remembered even today by the people for his memorable contribution.
- Waiving the interest on farmers' loan : Janata Party Government for the first time in the history of the country waived the interest on farmers' loan and shower that it is a .party of the peasants.
- Antyodaya : This was a scheme specially planned for the upliftment of the downtrodden.
- Ganga Kalyana : This was a scheme specially planned for the farmers belonging to SC/ST, OBC and minorities to have their own irrigation facilities. This was the brain child of Shri.H.D.Devegowda.
- Sethu Bandhana : This was a scheme planned and implemented to connect the Islands of villages having no connecting roads by constructing bridges. This was also the brain child of Shri.H.D.Devegowda.
- Public Districtution System : Green Cards were issued to the people below the poverty line to have their rations at cheaper rate.
- A scheme was implemented wherein monthly allowance to the poor widows and allowance to the poor pregnant women came into effect. This was also the brain child of Shri.H.D.Devegowda.
PERCAPITA INCOME DURING THE CONGRESS GOVERNMENT LED BY SRI.S.M.KRISHNA -A GREAT DECLINE!
The per capital income of the Janatadal Government in 1994, that is when it assumed office, was Rs.8958 and it was Rs.16343 in 1999 when it left the office. The performance achieved by the Janata dal Government is 16.48% as regards the annual increase in per capita income.
SIGNIFICANT FALL IN STATE INCOME DURING THE S.M.KRISHNA GOVERNMENT.
In the year 1994, Janatadal Government took over its reigns, the state income was Rs.43056 crores. In the year 1999 when it bowed out of office, the state income was Rs.84686 crores. That means, the annual rate of increase in state income during the period of Janatadal Government was 19.33 percent.
PRIMARY EDUCATION PRIORITY GIVEN BY JANATADAL GOVERNMENT AND NEGLIGENCE OF THE CONGRESS GOVERNMENT.
The number of primary schools when the janatadal Government assumed office was 41,684 and it was 48,135 when it bowed out of office. Thus there has been an increase in the number of primary schools by 6,451.
PRIMARY HEALTH PRIORITY GIVEN BY THE JANATADAL AND UTTER INDIFFERENCE OF THE CONGRESS.
The number of primary health centres was 1459 when the Janatadal Government assumed office in the year 1999, and when the Janatadal Government left the office the number of PHCs was 1676. Thus the number of PHCs set up during the period of Janata Dal Government was 217.
PRIMARY HEALTH UNITS ACHIEVEMENT OF THE CONGRESS GOVERNMENT-A BIG ZEERO!
The year 1994, when the Janatadal Government assumed office the number of primary health units in the state was 7993 and in the year 1999 when it bowed out of office, the number of PHUs was 8143. The number of PHUs set up during the period of Janatadal rule was 150.